The Hurwitz Breast Cancer Fund was established in 1999 by Jeff and Patty Hurwitz, after Patty’s diagnosis of breast cancer. Believing that early diagnosis was the key to Patty’s successful outcome, the goal of the fund has been to provide the most innovative options in early detection and treatment of breast cancer.
Contributions from the Fund benefit Frederick Health and are helping save lives here in Frederick County. Every dollar donated to the Fund is used for direct patient benefit; there are no administrative costs.
Over the past 20 years, more than $2 million has been provided through community support for the fund and its events.
Here are just a few of the items purchased and services provided thanks to the Hurwitz Breast Cancer Fund:
- A special breast coil was purchased for use with MRI imaging of the breast
- 3D & CAD Mammography Systems have been purchased to assist in the detection of breast cancer at an earlier stage; allowing for more successful outcomes
- Created a healing space for patients and families at the Center for Breast Care at Crestwood
- Funds helped to make James M Stockman Cancer Institute a reality for cancer patients in our community
- Purchased devices that enable the surgeon and radiologist to examine biopsy tissue in the operating room/procedure room; this makes biopsies easier and safer for the patient and returns results more quickly
- Purchased curved comfort paddles to help make mammograms more comfortable than with traditional paddles
- Supported several Breast Cancer Symposium and other group events for patients
The Hurwitz Breast Cancer Fund is a fund of Frederick Health Hospital, a private, not-for-profit, community hospital with a 501 (c)(3) tax status.
All contributions to the fund are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law.